How is a carotid artery stent done?

Procedure. Performed from a small puncture into the artery in your groin area. A catheter is inserted and is used to evaluate the stenosis. A protection device is then inserted through the blockage and deployed. A suitable stent is inserted and deployed. A balloon opens stent to final diameter. Completion images are taken. Protection device retrieved. Catheters removed. See sirweb.Org.
Minimally invasive. A small coil-like tubular device (stent) is inserted at the site of blockage in the carotid artery via a tiny plastic tube going into the artery from the groin or arm. Only local anesthesia is used at site of injection in groin or arm and you are given sedatives through an intravenous (IV) line to keep you relaxed and comfortable. Takes on average 30 minutes, bed rest about 4-6 hrs after that.
Carotid stent. Access via groin artery, tube (sheath) placed over wire in artery, then wire directed into desired common carotid artery followed by placement of a sheath that extends from groin to carotid. A filter is placed into the internal carotid distal to the treatment area to catch debris and prevent stroke. X-Ray guides placing stent, balloon inflation in artery. Filter& sheath then pulled out.