My bf has a staph infection he had a 2hr drip of IV atibiotics last night at hosp, 2 anti scripts to take home, how long is he cont? Skin is not open?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Contagious after Rx

Usually, the a general guideline would be that a person is not contagious after 48 hours' worth of antibiotics.
With strep throat, a general guideline is 24 hours. But this can vary depending on the disease.

In brief: Contagious after Rx

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Complicated

Your bf may be colonized with this staph on his skin and in his nose and back of throat.
If you are intimate the chances are that you too are colonized. That does not necessarily mean that you will become infected. That requires a complex interaction of sites in which infection can occur, your innate immunity and other factors.

In brief: Complicated

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Gutti Rao
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: Staph infection

By your description I am presuming your bf had an abscess which is being treated with abx.
Usually seven to ten days of antibiotics suffices.

In brief: Staph infection

Dr. Gutti Rao
Dr. Gutti Rao