Can an abdominal/pelvic CT scan show colon polyps or cancer?

CT Scan Findings. Ct scan is not the best study to detect colon cancer. Although a ct scan may show a large sized colon cancer, the sensitivity of this is greatly reduced without the administration of oral contrast. The best diagnostic study for colon cancer or polyps is colonoscopy.
May. A 3d ct, with colon preparation would be needed for reliable screening for colon polyps and cancer. A routine ct should not be relied upon for such screening. If a ct scan shows a lesion, that needs to be addressed, if it does not, that does not exclude colonic pathology.
IF GROWTH IS. Betond the wall of the bowel. It may show enlarged lymph nodes which will alert a doctor to do further studies. These scans are typically not very good for hollow intra abdominal organs. This is the reason why surveillance/screening colonoscopies/sigmoidoscopies are so important.