What could cause broken wrist (colles fracture)?

A fall. The most common cause of a broken wrist is a fall onto your outstretched hand.
Fall. The most common mechanism of injury for a colles fracture is fall onto an outstretched wrist. These fractures sometimes require operative treatment.
FOOSH. Stands for fall on outstretched hand. Thus is still the most common mechanism of injury. By the way while colles fracture is a common moniker for a wrist fracture and colles described the anatomical findings of a typical extra articular distal radius, using colles as a diagnosis lumps too many different well known fractures into one overly broad category, so medical persons should try to specifi.