What should you do for a jammed/broken thumb?

Stop hitch-hiking. Just kidding. But a potentially broken thumb is serious. Get to your doc, an x-ray will tell, and they can direct your tx. Or referral.
See an orthopedist. Will need an xray and likely a splint. Make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon.