What can a doctor do to fix a broken knee cap?

Dr. Robert Dunbar
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: ORIF

O.R.I.F. Or open reduction and internal fixation is when an orthopedic surgeon identifies the fracture fragments (with open surgery), then places the pieces back in their anatomic positions (reduction) and then holds the pieces in place with various devices (screws, plates, wires) - - - (internal fixation).
This is often the preferred treatment for displaced patella or kneecap fractures.

In brief: ORIF

Dr. Robert Dunbar
Dr. Robert Dunbar
Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice

In brief: Surgery

If the knee cap is broken, it can often be repaired with surgery that includes using screws and wires to keep it together while it heels.

In brief: Surgery

Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine