I have a severe swollen upper lip due to an dental abscess. What is the best remedy to get rid of it? I am taking antibiotics prescribed by my dentist-this is my 3rd day on them

Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry

In brief: Options

Antibiotics help but getting the problem solved is the best way to get more rapid relief.
You should by now start to notice the antibiotic working. If there is a large firm mass draining it will give by far the most relief, but sometimes the infection is spread through tissues and does not drain when incised. Your dentist should be able to determine this for you. Next option is to start root canal.

In brief: Options

Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Alvaro Lazo
There is a good chance that the antibiotic is not working.If the abscess is getting bigger and you start feeling lethargic it would wise to go to ER to have IV antibiotics.

In brief: Swollen lip

If the swelling has not decreased in the past 3 days (doesnt mean disappeared) then you may need additional treatment or a different antibiotic.

In brief: Swollen lip

Dr. Gregori Kurtzman
Dr. Gregori Kurtzman
Dr. Lindsey Wolfer
Dentistry

In brief: Call your dentist

You should get some relief after 3 days.
Check with your dentist and see if you may need an incision and drainage procedure or a change of medication.

In brief: Call your dentist

Dr. Lindsey Wolfer
Dr. Lindsey Wolfer
Dr. Robert Tupac
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: See your dentist

Antibiotics usually take 24 to 48 hours to make a difference--so if you aren't getting better, go back to the dentist and explain the problem.

In brief: See your dentist

Dr. Robert Tupac
Dr. Robert Tupac