I am 21 weeks pregnant and have tender breasts. Today I noticed a small lump in my right breast-should I be worried?

Dr. Ruth Crystal

In brief: See your doctor

There are many changes in the breasts during pregnancy.
Breast tenderness is very common. However, if you have a new breast mass, i would see your doctor within a week. Be careful not to check the lump too often before you see your doctor as breast/nipple stimulation in pregnancy can cause contractions.

In brief: See your doctor

Dr. Ruth Crystal
Dr. Ruth Crystal
Dr. Dariush Vaziri
Breast Surgery

In brief: Yes and no

Any lump in the breast whether being pregnant or not is a matter of concern until it is confirmed that it is benign.
I would suggest that you definitely have it checked. Majority of lumps are benign (non cancerous), but breast cancer needs to be ruled out. Don't wait until the end of your pregnancy to have it checked. Do it now!

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Dariush Vaziri
Dr. Dariush Vaziri
Dr. Adam Levy