I have strep b present in my urine at 18 weeks. What are the risks of this damaging my baby?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Antibiotics help
Women with gbs (group b streptococcus) in urine or vaginal or rectal colonization have increased risk of kidney infection, preterm birth, infection in uterus and contents before and after delivery.
There's increased risk of pregnancy loss (eg if preterm prom), illness and death of the newborn. Here's more information about moms and babies http://www.Cdc.Gov/groupbstrep/index.Html talk to your ob.

In brief: Antibiotics help
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Sheila Goodman
In brief: None
Strep b or gbs in the urine only causes problems for babies if the mom gets a kidney infection that causes preterm labor or if it isn't treated for at the time of delivery.
Anyone who has gbs in her urine needs antibiotics in labor. Babies who get gbs during delivery can get very sick and even die. Giving antibiotics prevents this.

In brief: None
Dr. Sheila Goodman
Dr. Sheila Goodman
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
In brief: Extremely rare
You will need to receive antibiotics in labor to prevent the baby from getting the bacteria.
Doing this has drastically reduced the incidence of group b infections in the baby.

In brief: Extremely rare
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Cindy Juster