How to prevent tooth decay......?

See below. With good oral hygiene, regular dental visits and control of diet.
Dentist. You should brush and floss twice a day. And you should see your dentist every 6 months, and sometimes more if you have perio.
Daily maintenance. Brush twice a day with a Fluoride toothpaste. Clean between your teeth daily with floss or other interdental cleaner. Eat nutritious meals and limit snacking. Check with your dentist about the use of supplemental Fluoride and about use of dental sealants. Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral examination.
Simply. Brush/floss every surface of all your teeth. I brush and i tell my patients to brush 5 minutes once in a 24 hr period and to floss first. Set a timer or your favorite piece of music that is five minutes long and brush. I use the overseas news as it is exactly 5 min long. You can brush more than once a day but one time should be for 5 min. Long yes however I have never had a filling.
Home and dental care. Proper diet, lucky genetics, appropriate home oral hygiene with ADA approved products along with regular dental visits (exams and cleanings) will minimize your chance at getting a cavity, but is not a guarantee! Early detection will keep any treatment to a minimum. Be diligent and your efforts will be rewarded!
Toothbrushing Advice. Two times during the day that is very important to brush and floss your teeth. The most important time is before you go to bed. Our mouths act as incubators for bacteria during the night, giving us cavities and bad breath in the morning. The other time is first thing when you wake up. It gets rid of all the bacteria that grew during the night. More than that can cause toothbrush abrassion.