I recently had a discectomy L5 s1 about ten days ago iam still having severe sciatica pain shooting down through my leg how long should I expect this level of pain?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: 3 months

Surgery will remove the disc so it will not heal normally but can result in reduction in pain and resolving any lasting nerve damage due to the disc herniation.
Healing can take up to 3 months. Healing on its own will take time and may keep the integrity of the disc intact which may be the best at keeping the disc as normal as possible. Healing on its own can take up to 6-9 months or longer.

In brief: 3 months

Dr. Edward Smith
Neurology

In brief: Ask your surgeon

No one can answer this question better than the person who examined you, viewed your imaging and most importantly saw the pathology during surgery.
Sciatic pain, whether sharp, burning, aching, can go away within hours after surgery or last a lifetime. Most commonly severe pain may take 6 to 8 weeks to resolve.

In brief: Ask your surgeon

Dr. Michael Shapiro
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Need MRI

People who undergo microdiscectomy surgery should have good relief of their pain early after surgery.
Sources of continued pain can be nerve injury from the herniated disc, retained disc fragment, or recurrent herniated disc. An MRI will help to provide an answer.

In brief: Need MRI

Dr. Vikram Patel