My aunt has 2tumors left side lung which has spread to the lt hip bone. She just finished radiation to the hip and willbe starting chemo. Is this normal treatment? Why not start with treatment to the lung first? She is stage 4 lung cancer. Are the docto

In brief: To prevent fracture

Yes it is normal.
Radiation was given to hip first to hip prevent fracture and for pain. Discuss with oncologist with your aunt permission will explain the plan of treatment and prognosis.

In brief: To prevent fracture

Yes it is normal.
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Internal Medicine - Oncology

In brief: XRT can be first

I assume your aunt has non-small cell lung cancer which usually does not respond quickly to chemo.
If the lesions in the bone are causing pain or are at risk for fracture, we will often give radiation first (usually 10 days) to deal with the acute problem first. Then we give chemo to address the rest. Best wishes.

In brief: XRT can be first

Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Dr. Carlos Encarnacion
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Once NSCLC

Spreads, there is no cure.
The goal is to treat symptomatic areas to provide comfort. We are encouraged to incorporate palliative care (experts in symptom control) and even get a hospice assessment -- focus on home services, help, equipment, support. A good idea to maximize comfort when cure is not possible.

In brief: Once NSCLC

Spreads, there is no cure.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology