I had a kidney removed due to cancer. Can I take ibuprofen for a toothache. If not, what can I take for pain relief?

Dr. Phillip Frist
Dentistry

In brief: Antibiotics

This should alleviate the infection which is causing the pain, then you can cure the problem by having the tooth treated properly either by endodontics, periodontics or oral surgery all depending on the proper diagnosis and your decision as to how you wish to treat your body.

In brief: Antibiotics

Dr. Phillip Frist
Dr. Phillip Frist
Pathology

I'm going to assume your kidney function remains adequate and you've not been told otherwise.
But be sure to drink plenty of water as long as there is any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent. I'm sorry you're having dental pain -- wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Arthur Heller
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Depends on fnxn

Depends on remaining kidney function, dose and frequency of Ibuprofen (or any other NSAID drugs).
Acetaminophen is less noxious to the kidneys, works for pain. Check with your doc.

In brief: Depends on fnxn

Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Arthur Heller
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Many know

And are therefore concernd that Ibuprofen taken too regularly in too high doses can cause renal injury and kidney failure, so an alternate, tylenol, (acetaminophen) aspirin, or Codeine may be preferable.
However, 400my will not injure your kidney.

In brief: Many know

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Shontae Buffington