Is gastritis pain normally worse in the morning after waking up? I find that my stomach is sore in the morning often after I wake up.

In brief: Refluxing at night?

A person with stomach aches upon awakening can make a diary of symptoms, writing them down on a big calendar. Include descriptions of the symptoms, when they occur, how long they last, what makes them better, what worsens them, any relation to foods or meds, any relation to activities, etc.
.. Then, he can take the diary to the doctor. Gastric reflux and excess acidity can be a cause.

In brief: Refluxing at night?