Dr. George Klauber
Pediatrics - Urology

In brief: No rush, may pass

Most 5 mm ureteral stones pass spontaneously.
Your symptoms are mild and you have had either a ct or a renal ultrasound & are under care so there is no immediate need for intervention. Urine should be filtered in case stone is passed. Studies can be repeated in 2 weeks, or sooner if symptoms increase, risk of renal damage is minimal. Stone can be removed later as needed.Ureter.

In brief: No rush, may pass

Dr. James Marx
Pain Management

In brief: Quickly

The findings you describe indicate there is impairment to your kidney's output and "back pressure" on the kidney.
This can cause permanent damage to the kidney with loss of function if ignored. I would seek aggressive treatment like a stent to bypass the blockage or lithotripsy to breakup the stone rather than watchful waiting if it were my kidney.

In brief: Quickly

Dr. George Klauber
As a urologist, must disagree. Your reported ultrasound +/or CT findings suggest that you are already under medical care. US can be repeated after 2 weeks, and urologist can then advise whether to intervene with a stent or ureteroscopic lithotripsy removal or continue to temporize. I would certainly intervene if you develop renal colic or no change in position of stone or hydronephrosis
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Pain Management

In brief: Stone

I would suggest you see a urologist as soon as possible.
Any hydronephrosis is not good - it may lead to infection, kidney dysfunction. Size of stone is immaterial - its the effects it is causing that matters.

In brief: Stone

Dr. George Klauber
Please see my response to Dr. Marx's answer. Likewise infection is presently of little concern unless you have a UTI, in which case immediate intervention would be necessary.
Dr. Vikram Patel