I am 6 weeks pregnant today is it a bad thing to not hear the babys heart beat just yet?

No. Typically cardiac activity comes on around 5-6 weeks. If you just went in for an ultrasound and the doctor saw a sac and a tiny embryo, then it's just a matter of time. Hopefully he or she told you to come back in a few weeks for a repeat ultrasound so you could hear the heart beat.
PREGNANCY. Baby starts moving at age 4 months and babys heart beat is usually heard at that time. So it is not bad not to hear the heart beat at 6 weeks.