Just diagnosed with hep b, depressed and learning to cope. Is chirrosis and/or liver cancer inevitable? Is my life over? I'm 29, asian, female.

Dr. Simon Kimm
Urology

In brief: There's hope.

It's true that chronic, progressive infection with hepatitis b can lead to liver failure & cancer.
But many recent advances in anti-viral medications have improved our ability to control the infection. Work with a hepatologist familiar with this disease. Follow the surveillance protocol closely. Avoid alcohol & drugs toxic to the liver, & if pregnant, get proper immunizations for the baby.

In brief: There's hope.

2 comments
Dr. Simon Kimm
I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. And someone who had loved ones afflicted with the condition, I understand your concern. But much can be done, and newer antiviral agents are being developed all the time. Don't lose hope and be proactive about dealing with it.
Dr. Bac Nguyen
You also may want to clarify the status of your diagnosis: Is it chronic carrier state or chronic-active. If it is just a carrier-state (infection is inactive) and your level is "undectable" you may not need to do anything beyond periodic monitoring. Active state will require treatment--current treatments are quite good. Keep healthy, minimize liver-toxic substance such as alcohol--you will be fine. Good luck
Dr. Tracy Berg
Surgery

In brief: Coping and hep B

Cirrohsis and liver cancer are risks you carry related to hep b.
They are not inevitable. Coping means learning the day to day health choices that will enhance your overall health. Follow up with a gasteoenterologist. Join a support group. Avoid alcohol.

In brief: Coping and hep B

Dr. Eric Weisman