How bad is the pain from a total knee replacement usually?

Dr. Howard Luks
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Very

Let's be very honest, although there have been significant advances in how we manage the pain of a knee replacement postoperatively, the first few days to weeks involve a significant amount of pain.
Utilizing pain catheters, injections around the knee during surgery, epidural catheters, and various medication combinations the pain is usually well controlled.

In brief: Very

Dr. Howard Luks
Dr. Howard Luks
Dr. John Michalski
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Total knee pain

Severe the first 2 days--lessened with spinal and femoral nerve block anesthesis, pain meds, joint cocktail, minimally invasive procedures.
Much less pain after 1st 2 days. Trutthfully, the rehab is tough, so be prepared to work to get the best result.

In brief: Total knee pain

Dr. John Michalski
Dr. John Michalski
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Depends

I tell my patients that their job rehabing the knee is much more difficult than my job replacing the joint.
On a pain scale of 1-10 (with 7/10 being equivalent to pulling your teeth our without novocaine), we try to keep your post-op pain around 4/10. We usually use a cocktail of different pain meds to allow you to adequately perform your rehab regimen.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine