Should I ski after having a total hip replacement?

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Maybe

The risks of engaging in high impact activities following joint replacements are wear, dislocation, and fractures.
However, if you were a good skier before the surgery, chances are that you can get back to doing it at a recreational level. But, if skiing is not that important to you, then you should look for activities which are not high impact and do not have significant fall risks.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. David Fisher
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Possibly

If you were a skilled skier before your hip replacement, you should be able to return to that activity after 3-4 months.
You should stay within your ability and not get overly aggressive. A severe fall could lead to a hip dislocation or fracture around the prosthesis.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. David Fisher
Dr. David Fisher
Dr. John Dearborn
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Dial it back a notch

I let my patients ski, but i suggest sticking to groomed hills.
I have several extreme skiers who are addicted to powder and heli. If you fall, put your legs together!

In brief: Dial it back a notch

Dr. John Dearborn
Dr. John Dearborn