What is the pain is involved when having a total hip replacement operation.?

Dr. David Ott
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Mild to moderate
The pain with hip replacment surgery is a function of the damage to the tissues as one tries to accurately place the new joint.
Surgeons using techniques to minimize the damage will have less pain post op. The direct anterior approach to hip replacement offers the least damage to the muscles when performed by a surgeon experienced in this technique.

In brief: Mild to moderate
Dr. David Ott
Dr. David Ott
Dr. Steven Morgan
I agree the direct anterior approach goes between the muscles and does not detach any muscles. The arthritic pain is relieved by replacemen
Dr. Susan Jolly
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Variable
A hip replacement surgery is normally less painful than a knee replacement surgery.
Depending upon your pre-operative pain level, often, there is a different, but more tolerable pain after total hip arthroplasty. Always, however, everyone perceives pain differently.

In brief: Variable
Dr. Susan Jolly
Dr. Susan Jolly
Dr. John Dearborn
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Not too bad...
I recommend using an epidural for the surgery and then transition to oral medications a few hours later. I'd also suggest talking to your doctor about giving your a few different types of pain medication immediately before surgery, which helps reduce the amount of pain you experience afterward.
Fortunately, hip replacements do not hurt that much - most of our patients walk the same day day.

In brief: Not too bad...
Dr. John Dearborn
Dr. John Dearborn
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine