How many cortisone shots are too many to treat my tennis elbow?

3 or more. The rule of thumb I follow is no more than 3 injections in a one year period into the same area and at least 1 month between injections. This may be more or less conservative when compared to other docs but it has kept my complication rate very low. Corticosteroids over time can weaken or rupture tendons/ ligaments and cause necrosis in bone. If your not responding, ask about other treatments.
2-3. Classic answer is no more than two to three in a given area before you should consider surgery.
Depends. Recent studies continue to demonstrate that patients that have cortisone injections for tennis elbow often have a recurrence of pain. Cortisone tends to work best for tennis elbow that is more acute (less than ~ 6 weeks in duration) with only mild injury to the tendon. Eccentric strengthening exercises, platelet-rich plasma injection and a percutaneous tenotomy can give more permanent relief.