I sprained my kneecap 3 years ago and recently reinjured it. Now if I i shift it a certain way it feels like a small bone pops out of place and the pain is excruciating until it seams to pop back in on its own. What should I do to prevent this from happe

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine

In brief: Let's start over

First you can't sprain your kneecap, only a ligament you may have a loose body, meniscal tear or patella instability you need to get examined and possibly an x-ray and mri.

In brief: Let's start over

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Many possibilities

Your pain could be as a result of many different things.
A thorough history and physical exam and possibly some laboratory and radiology exams are needed to determine the exact cause. Causes of pain may include: trauma (fracture, tendon or ligamentous tear, arthritis), infection, metabolic conditions (gout), musculoskeletal or biomechanical abnormalities.

In brief: Many possibilities

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine