What should I do for exercise if I have Achilles tendinitis?

Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Eccentric Loading

Besides foot and calf stretching, studies have shown that eccentric loading exercises work best for resolving achilles tendonitis.
An example of eccentric loading would be standing on a double step and jumping off landing on the balls of the feet.

In brief: Eccentric Loading

Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Dr. Scott Slattery
Another eccentric exercise that helps if you are in a fair amount of pain, is to stand on the balls of your feet on the edge of a step. Push up on your toes with both feet. Now take out the "good" leg and stand only on the toes of the injured side. Now SLOWLY lower yourself down on that foot until your heel is below the edge of the step. Now push back up with BOTH feet. Repeat until discomfort.
Dr. David Laha
Podiatry

In brief: Non weight bearing

You need to avoid exercises that aggravate the tendon.
I recommend swimming, cycling, rowing and weight lifting(sitting or lying down exercises only) as long as they don't cause increased discomfort. Therapy involves light stretching, icing and antiinflammatories, good shoes with support and a slight heel lift. I would avoid jumping exercises until you are healed. Dr l.

In brief: Non weight bearing

Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha