Is tendonitis of the wrist similar to a sprained wrist?

Not really. Tendonitis is inflammation of a tendon sheath (the tight passageway where tendons glide). A sprained wrist is an injury of the ligaments of the wrist. Tendons move joints and are attached to muscles. Ligaments connect bones to other bones across joints. Both can happen after trauma (a fall or twisting injury), but a sprain doesn't happen over time like tendonitis can develop.
Similar yes. Not exactly tendonitis is inflammed overused tendons a sprain is injured strteched ligaments from a fall or trauma.