What could be done about a sprained finger that is severely bruised?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Consider a fracture

Severe bruising from a finger sprain heightens my concern for an avulsion fracture or a tear of a ligament or tendon.
Simple sprains only need to be splinted for short time. Persistent symptoms should be evaluated by a physician. Better yet, have it checked now to rule out these more serious causes.

In brief: Consider a fracture

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine

In brief: Splint or buddy tape

If you have an injured finger and the xray is negative you should immobilize it for minor injuries, i would buddy tape the finger to the adjacent one for more significant finger sprains or injuries, i would use an aluminum splint limit activities until symptoms resolve.

In brief: Splint or buddy tape

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine