What is the doctor going to do for my sprained finger?

Dr. Stephen Daquino
Sports Medicine

In brief: Maybe Nothing

It depends on if it's truly a sprain.
Some sprains are severe enough to need a splint. Others just get buddy taped, iced and nsaid's. Hard to tell the extent of yours without an exam. An x-ray would rule out a fracture as well. Start with ice 20 min 3 times a day, otc Ibuprofen and tape the finger to the one next to it for stability (buddy tape). If not better in a few days see your doc.

In brief: Maybe Nothing

It depends on if it's truly a sprain.
Dr. Stephen Daquino
Dr. Stephen Daquino
2 comments
Dr. Arthur Heller
Caveat if the sprain affects the thumb, "Gamekeeper's" sprain. Those sometimes require surgery.
Dr. Stephen Daquino
I agree with Dr Heller- Gamekeeper thumb is a whole other story. In fact always be more diligent when it comes to injuries of the thumb. No thumb= No hand.
Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends

Depend on what was injured, he will probably check range of motion and satiability and my get an exray to look for an assocated fracture.
If not present he may treat with ice, medications and buddy taping.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Dr. Mark Hutchinson
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine