How long after shoulder surgery (for dislocation) should I wait until I can start going to the gym?

Dr. Joel McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Ask your doctor

Post surgical rehabilitation and return to activity is usually strictly controlled by the surgeon and the time to return to full activity is dictated by the severity of the injury, the surgery performed, and your healing response afterwards.
Your doctor should make it clear when you can return to full activity.

In brief: Ask your doctor

Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: Talk to MD

I would suggest talking to the surgeon who performed your surgery.
It is possible to undo all the good work that you have done with the surgery and healing up to this time by putting excess stress on the site. Going to the gym for leg exercises should not be a problem, but the shoulder should wait until the surgeon recommends.

In brief: Talk to MD

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery