Painless dent on scalp after minor trauma, getting sinus/skull xray, had nausea, sinusitis and postnasal drip. Could CSF leak cause the sinusitis?

Dr. Nick Debnath
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Unlikely

depends on what you mean by sinusitis.
Minor trauma is not likely to result in a CSF leak. If you have one-sided nasal drainage which is clear and salty tasting I recommend you see your doctor. There is a lab test for CSF fluid from the nose (beta-2-transferrin test) which is very accurate.

In brief: Unlikely

depends on what you mean by sinusitis.
Dr. Nick Debnath
Dr. Nick Debnath
Dr. John Leander Po
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: No- not at all

Since cerebrospinal fluid cushions your brain and your spinal cord, it is sterile.
A CSF leak causing a sinusitis implies the CSF is already infected with something- if that were the case, you would not be alive today to ask your question. If you suspect a CSF leak, see your doctor or go to the ed to have your head evaluated quickly.

In brief: No- not at all

Dr. John Leander Po
Dr. John Leander Po