What is the best way to apply heat on a bruised muscle?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: No best way?

I guess there is no "best" way.
Use common sense. Heat some water not to the point of burning the skin. Get a small towel or large gauze get it wet with the warm water and apply it over the diseased area. If that cools too fast warm it up more. If you have a heating pad just wrap it with some sort of cloth or linen so you don't apply the plastic of it directly over the skin. Avoid ointments under.

In brief: No best way?

I guess there is no "best" way.
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Bertrand Kaper
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Alternate heat & ice

A bruised muscled is often treated best with a combination of heat and ice.
Use a routine of 5 minute heat and then 5 minutes of ice, always starting and finishing with heat. Do this for 25 minutes, three times a day until your symptoms resolve. Remember to also gently stretch the bruised muscle.

In brief: Alternate heat & ice

Dr. Bertrand Kaper
Dr. Bertrand Kaper
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine