I have a torn meniscus and acl. When should I be able to return to playing basketball?

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Orthopedic Surgery

If you have surgical reconstruction of your ACL and repair of your meniscus (if able), your chances to return to your prior level of activity (basketball) is very high (upwards of 90%).

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Vishal Shah
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends on treatment

Although many people can return to non-contact and straight-line type sporting activities approximately 6 weeks after acl and meniscus tears, the tear will likely progress over time and the knee is likely to deteriorate.
If you undergo surgical treatment, which is likely recommended, average return to sport is about 6 months, however, you may not feel like yourself again on the court for 1-2 yrs.

In brief: Depends on treatment

Dr. Vishal Shah
Dr. Vishal Shah
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine