Hi my 2 year old daughter eats hair and likes sucking anything metal I took her to the doctors and he mentioned pica and gave me information about it. On the information it mentioned autism I was wondering if I can have my daughter tested for this and wo

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Definitely

If your child is having unusual symptoms, take her to a center specializing in evaluations of young children.
If funds are a problem, see if easter seals has a program near you. Some behavioral pediatricians are trained in evaluating children this age, as a psychologist. Your pediatrician should have referrals. You definitely want an expert with toddlers. Good luck.

In brief: Definitely

In brief: Nl kids do this to

Pica is a common term for eating odd things & many 2yo will explore the world using taste as one of their inputs.
Share your concerns with your daughters doc but don't get stuck on the autism thing. Lots of normal kids will go through this phase.

In brief: Nl kids do this to

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: What did he say

About her development & was an m-chat screen for autism done? Give him a call about your concerns.
You can get an m-chat scored on firstsigns.Org, but it really takes a follow-up phone interview to improve specificity. If easter seals has a waitlist, request a referral to your state's early intervention program. You can find your closest autism clinic on the autism speaks website.

In brief: What did he say

Dr. Jane Van Dis