Is knee replacement the best solution for rheumatoid arthritis?

Maybe. It depends on what is causing the pain and how bad the pain is. There are many medical and non-surgical treatments for rheumatoid arthritis, but if required, knee replacement is an appropriate treatment.
If necessary. If necessary, when the joint is destroyed by rheumatoid disease, knee replacement can relieve pain and improve function. However, it is typically best if the disease (rheumatoid arthritis) be controlled medically with medicines so that the effects of the joints (hips, wrists, elbows, knees, etc) are minimized.