How can you know if you have an infection in your knee after having a partial knee replacement?

Pain and Swelling. Infections in joint replacements can be very hard to diagnose. Generally, doctors with use blood tests, radiographic tests, aspirations (a tap of the fluid in the knee) and some times biopsies to determine if there is an infection.
Get to your surgeon! The clinical findings that are concerning for an infected knee are: 1. Redness/pinkness around the incision or knee. 2. Increased swelling around knee 3. Increased pain with bending or weight bearing 4. Fever, chills, lethargy, loss of appetite 5. A knee draining fluid from the incision or a new hole 6. Blood tests with elevated wbc, crp, esr. See your surgeon with any concern asap, don't wait!
Consult your surgeon. Swelling, redness and pain are very common after partial or total knee replacement. Aggressive icing and elevation should improve these problems. If not, or if you continue to run a fever, have drainage from the wound, or increasing pain, a visit to your surgeon is very important. Your family doctor or the E.R. May put you on antibiotics, which can make diagnosis difficult. Call your surgeon.