How can I exercise with a total knee replacement?

Dr. Susan Jolly
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: With advise

You can exercise after knee replacement, and it is a good idea.
The best exercise is that which avoids stress across the knee. Although you want to strengthen the muscles around the knee, you do not want to place undue stresses across the replaced knee. Your orthopedist and your physical therapist can best advise you.

In brief: With advise

Dr. Susan Jolly
Dr. Susan Jolly
Dr. Robert Purchase
I agree. Talk to your surgeon about specific exercises. Also, the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons website (aaos.org) has an article about exercises after a TKR. But think of it this way, the TKR is like a spare tire. It is not a brand new, regular tire. Instead, it is a donut from your trunk. It can stand up to most things (like low impact exercises), but not everything.
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Low impact

The type of exercise depends on the timing following knee replacement.
Initially, one focuses on range of motion exercises and learning how to walk properly. Following the immediate recovery period, one focuses on low impact quadriceps strengthening exercises. Good exercises are riding a stationary bike, elliptical machines and swimming.

In brief: Low impact

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Many ways

The only major restriction on exercise for total knees would be to avoid jogging or running as your aerobic exercise.
Jumping and landing exercise are also not great because like jogging, you can cause loosening of the implant from the bone or cement fixation. This also can speed the wear down of the plastic bearings. Bicycles, tai chi, walking, swimming, dancing, golf, tennis, ellipticals good.

In brief: Many ways

Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Robert Cusick
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Low impact

After a total knee replacement, any type of impact activity is not advised.
This includes jumping, jogging, hopping, etc. It is believed that these activities may shorten the lifespan of the implants. I suggest my patients pursue constant, repetitive, low stress exercises such as swimming, walking, and biking. High reps with low resistance is always a good rule, as well as avoiding deep squats.

In brief: Low impact

Dr. Robert Cusick
Dr. Robert Cusick
Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Kneeling and crawling should be avoided. The AAOS, at AAOS.org, has a nice listing of recommended and not recommended activities after knee or hip replacement.