What exactly does it mean when a surgeon "cleans out" a joint?

Dr. Robert Dunbar
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Remove disease
Of course, each joint is different, but a classic example of what you are asking about is a knee arthroscopy the removes any loose or torn cartilage, whether it is the cartilage on the ends of the bones (femur, tibia, patella) or tears of the rubbery meniscal cartilage.
The surgeon might also remove thickened joint lining (synovium) or other scar present within the knee.

In brief: Remove disease
Dr. Robert Dunbar
Dr. Robert Dunbar
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: Arthroscopy?
I guess they are saying that during arthroscopy they will remove the growth of bone or prominent surfaces of bone and excessive sinovial cells that may cause pain or swelling unless there is an infection they will remove ( drain) the pus.
If is the knee...I assume that they will check the meniscus and remove the broken ones unless they may repair them. Ask your orthopode.

In brief: Arthroscopy?
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. David Rojer
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Scope
Generally a clean out refers to an arthroscopic evaluation or a scope.

In brief: Scope
Dr. David Rojer
Dr. David Rojer
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine