I went under the surgery of cholecystectomy last january 2011. I would like to know if it is prohibited for me to take any alcoholic drinks. Thanks.

Dr. Kevin Hiler
Surgery

In brief: No prohibitions

There are no prohibitions to drinking alcohol after gallbladder surgery.

In brief: No prohibitions

Dr. Kevin Hiler
Dr. Kevin Hiler
Dr. Nicholas Martin

In brief: Alcohol is not fat

Gall from a gallbladder is needed by the body to dissolve fats.
The loss of a gall bladder___ does limit the amount of fat one can consume per meal. Alcohol does not need gall to be absorbed. It is better to eat food with alcohol to prevent rapid alcohol absorption. Because sugar and alcohol are eventually stored as fat, eating more than you can utilize, results in stored fat which is wt.Gain.

In brief: Alcohol is not fat

Dr. Nicholas Martin
Dr. Nicholas Martin
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery