Could someone tell me how much pain I will be in after a hip replacement or hip resurfacing surgery?

Variable. Pain after hip replacement or resurfacing varies. The typical patient after hip replacement realizes immediate relief of their arthritis pain. Their surgical pain can range from minimal to significant, but this pain is of course just temporary and can be appropriately treated with pain medication as needed. Regular icing of the hip after surgery is very beneficial.
Moderate amount. Every patient has differing levels of pain. Some have little to none and some require narcotics for an extended period of time. The pain almost never prevents putting weight on the new hip.
Everyone's different. Although no one can predict your pain level, most patients deal with the pain quite well. Pain medication will be necessary in the forst few days to weeks to help you get up and moving. Most patiets report no pain and are very excited about the mobility and function at the 6 week mark.