Could an infection from hip replacement surgery cause a diabetic to lose leg?

Rare. Infection after artificial hip or knee replacement is rare but problematic. Diabetics have a higher risk than non-diabetics however, the risk can be decreased by proper preoperative medical workup, including making sure the diabetes is well controlled (hga1c less than 6.5). Should an infection occur, we can usually resolve it in 90%+ of cases, but it would require 2-3 more surgeries.
Yes. But it would be very unusual. Infections of a hip replacement can usually be treated successfully with surgery and antibiotics.