How long is the hospital stay after a hip replacement and how long will the replacement last?

Dr. Joel McClurg
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: 1-4 days
The usually hospital stay after hip replacement is 2-4 days.
Some centers have experimented with same day surgery. This often results in readmission, or problems at home. The national average is about 3.4 days. The length of stay is dictated by when patients meet all their goals prior to discharge. The surgery in my hand is less than an hour, and that is fairly typical in the US.

In brief: 1-4 days
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. Joel McClurg
Dr. James Shapiro
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: 3 days and long time
Typical hospital stay is about 3 days.
There are some patients that can go home the day of surgery and others that need 4-5 days. The hip replacements should last many years. I typically mention 15 years, but the newer materials should be able to last much longer. Consult your doctor.

In brief: 3 days and long time
Typical hospital stay is about 3 days.
Dr. James Shapiro
Dr. James Shapiro
Dr. Marsha Davis