My mum has a major stroke shutting down her left side of the brain and advanced lung cancer suppressing her upper airway. What treatment can be given?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: The brain

Issue may be a strok, but a metastasis from the lung cancer would be a high alternative on my list to eliminate: the treatment is dramatically different.
Palliative radiotherapy can be attempted to clear symptoms in as few as 5 treatments. She needs an mr to discern met from stroke.

In brief: The brain

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Supportive

Patients w/ poor "performance status" (ps) -- that is how well they get around in daily life -- do not generally benefit from chemotherapy.
A major stroke without recovery would quality. Ps 3 - in bed >50% awake time, ps 4 = in bed/resting most of day. A caveat is otherwise healthy people w/ poor ps directly related to the cancer, so that might be treated (chemo or radiation) & ps3 tx w/ tkis rx.

In brief: Supportive

Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Thompson

In brief: Answer

The doctor that has her file should be the one that best direct her treatment plan.

In brief: Answer

Dr. MARIE RENEE M DOMERCANT
Dr. MARIE RENEE M DOMERCANT
Dr. Adam Smith