Why do I feel the constant need to take a deep breath? And when I can't take a deep breath I feel short of breath, can it be anxiety?

Dr. Peter Forster

In brief: Probably

Anxiety in some people causes a tendency to hyperventilate.
As you breathe rapidly your blood loses too much carbon dioxide and you start to experience symptoms which can include shortness of breath, light headed ness, tingling, chest pain, sweating... It is one of the rare situations where the body can feed you information (i am short of breath) that makes things worse - breathing even faster...

In brief: Probably

Dr. Peter Forster
Dr. Peter Forster
Dr. Timothy Re
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Air Hunger

Anxiety can be an explanation.
Sometimes anxiety causes over breathing which paradoxically makes you feel like you're not getting enough oxygen. Breathing techniques such as diaphragmatic or belly breathing can be helpful.

In brief: Air Hunger

Anxiety can be an explanation.
Dr. Timothy Re
Dr. Timothy Re
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine