Is a knee brace a good idea to get for someone with arthritis?

Might be... There is a special brace called an unloading brace which may be beneficial to certain kinds of arthritis (osteoarthritis mostly). A stabilizing brace is only of use if the joint is unstable. A plain neoprene sleeve for compression may give a patient comfort, but not so much stability. Check with your doc as to which type may benefit this patient.
Can be helpful. Braces can be helpful to provide additional support, pain relief, control of swelling and warmth. Many doctors recommend braces as a part of an arthritis treatment program including rest exercise and medications.