What the difference between anal fissure and anal fistula?

Tear / tract. A fissure is s a tear in the anal mucosa. A fistula is a tunnel deeper in the tissues with one opening on the outside and another opening on the inside of the anal canal or lower rectum.
Tear versus tunnel. An anal fissure is a tear in the lining of the anal canal, just inside the opening, and is characterized by painful bowel movements and rectal bleeding. An anal fistula is a tunnel from inside the anal canal out to the perinatal skin, resulting from a peri rectal abscess. It causes intermittent drainage and sometimes pain, swelling and bleeding.
Tear vs pus. A fissure is a tear of the anal canal - hurts a lot when you have a bm. A fistula is a chronic perianal/rectal infection that resulted in the formation of a tunnel (variable depth and complexity) that is prone to infection complication. You need a surgeon's help for both conditions.
All Different. Fissure: think paper cut in your anus hemorrhoids: think varicose veins in the anus fistula: much more complex - think aberrant tract from rectum to skin that shouldn't be there.
Surface vs deeper. A fissure is a surface crack in the skin at the anal opening. A fistula is a deeper tunnel under the skin or under the sphincter muscles. Fissure may be treated medically at first & fistula more likely to need surgery first.