How serious could a bone infection be?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng

In brief: Very serious

Osteomyeolitis is a very serious condition that requires 6 or more weeks of I.
V. Antibiotics. This is not something to ignore or hope that it gets better on its own.

In brief: Very serious

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
2 comments
Dr. Robert Gluck
If antibiotics don't do the trick, surgery might even be required for removal of the infected bone
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Excellent point by Dr. Gluck, and all the more reason to treat this seriously.
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Osteomyelitis/Bone I

Osteomylitis is the medical name for bone infection and it is considered a very serious infection often requiring intravenous antibiotics and some time surgery.
You can loose a limb and rarely it can be fatal.It may be caused by different bacteria like staphylococci 80%, srep pnumonia and others.It may also be a complication of tuberculosis.It can be acute or chronic.

In brief: Osteomyelitis/Bone I

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Extremely

Bone infections can be extremely serious leading to limb loss or death by sepsis.

In brief: Extremely

Dr. John Callahan
Dr. John Callahan
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine