How are ectopic pregnancies treated?

It depends. Ectopic pregnancies can be treated w/medication or surgery. Early, stable ectopics in compliant patients are often treated w/methotrexate (a chemotherapy drug) & closely followed. More advanced ectopics or ectopics in patients that are unstable or complicated are usually treated by laparoscopy to remove the pregnancy and possibly the tube. An uncertain diagnosis is also a reason to operate.
Medication/Surgery. Depending on the age of the embryo, one will need either Methotrexate or surgery to treat an ectopic pregnancy. Early pregnancies can be treated with a shot of methotrexate. More advanced pregnancies that are ectopic will require surgery. Patients who are at risk for excessive bleeding, or who are already bleeding, definitely need surgery. Occasionally, the entire tube needs to be taken out.