Is niacin 500mg daily a safe dose for LDL reduction therapy before prescribing a statin for high cholesterol? Patient is 29 yr old male

Dr. Rick Koch
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

That is the regular starting dose for niacin.
Have exercise, weight loss and diet already been tried? That would be my first recommendation. If Niacin is ineffective, statins my be considered. Niacin and statins were routinely used together in the past but this has fallen out of favor after the results of the recent aim-high trial.

Dr. Rick Koch
Dr. Rick Koch
Dr. Doug Hansen

In brief: Hmmmm...

Low dose Niacin is generally safe but can cause both bothersome side effects such as flushing and worrisome side effects such as liver toxicity; Niacin should always be prescribed and monitored by a physician.
In addition to lowering ldl, Niacin has a favorable effect on HDL cholesterol. Unfortunately 500mg of Niacin alone is not always effective at helping one reach their cholesterol goals.

In brief: Hmmmm...

Dr. Doug Hansen
Dr. Doug Hansen
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine