Is it safe to eat sushi during pregnancy?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Ask your OB
Being able to make the best food choices in pregnancy requires knowing a lot about the condition of the fetus and oneself, knowing safe food handling practices and being aware of which particular foods might have toxins or infectious agents associated with them. It is always a good idea to ask an experienced and informed physician or dietitian about the best diet for pregnancy and breastfeeding.

In brief: Ask your OB
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
A good place to start and read on the topic is www.mercola.com. Fish is usually not minitored by the FDA. Big fish,like tuna and salmon, have high mercury levels. Small fish may be a good alternative. If one is to eat salmon I recommend getting one that is alaskan deep sea salmon. Avoid farm raised salmon. Aside from issues of how it is raised, it also has lower omega 3 levels.
Dr. David Fein
Preventive Medicine
In my opinion, sushi is safe to eat while pregnant.
..It's bad sushi that's unsafe to eat while pregnant. And bad sushi is unsafe to eat when you're not pregnant! thousands of pregnant women eat sushi in japan daily without bad effects. My warnings---consume sushi only in a dependable, busy store with lots of turn-over (whole foods, central market, etc.).

Dr. David Fein
Dr. David Fein
3 comments
Dr. Jeff Livingston
I agree completely.
Dr. David Finke
In the U.S., most people aren't aware that sushi has to be flash frozen--making it safer to consume.
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
In brief: No
Definitely uncooked (raw) fish offer the risks of parasitic infections that may impact mother's health during the pregnancy.
Mercury toxicity, especially in tuna, is a direct threat to the fetus as well. Undercooked fish and the inconsistencies of food handlers are the wild card, so why chance it. There are many years ahead, after delivery, to enjoy sushi, so what's the rush now?

In brief: No
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Amy Herold
In brief: No
Undercooked or raw meat of any kind should not be eaten at all in pregnancy to avoid bacterial or parasitic infections that may harm a pregnancy.
You can have sushi rolls made of cooked seafood or meats.

In brief: No
Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Danielle Salhany
In brief: No
Undercooked or raw foods can carry bacteria that can harm your fetus or cause miscarriage or premature delivery.
Fully cooked or all vegetarian sushi rolls are safer to consume.

In brief: No
Dr. Danielle Salhany
Dr. Danielle Salhany
Dr. Nassir Azimi
Clinical Lipidology
In brief: No
There are some fish that have mercury and other potential toxins.

In brief: No
Dr. Nassir Azimi
Dr. Nassir Azimi
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
I have to go with common sense here and think that if the entire country of japan can eat sushi while pregnant then americans can too.
Like anything you eat, you want your food to be fresh, not spoiled. Any food can make you sick if it is contaminated...Even spinach and chives apparently.

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
In brief: Cooked or Raw - NO
Most of the sushi in restaurants have either salmon and tuna in it.
To be safe, ask if the salmon is a wild, deep sea type. Farm raised salmon have high levels of toxins in them and lower levels of omega 3 compared to deep sea alaskan type. Tuna has one of the highest amount of mercury levels. To be safe, eat the small type of fish. Mercury is a neurotoxin. Read more at www.Mercola.Com.

In brief: Cooked or Raw - NO
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
Dr. Alysia Townsend
In brief: No
Raw sushi is not recommended during pregnancy due to the risk of food borne illness.
You may try cooked forms of sushi, such as eel, or sushi that does not contain raw fish.

In brief: No
Dr. Alysia Townsend
Dr. Alysia Townsend
Dr. Megan Bird
In brief: No
We recommend not eating raw meat or fish in pregnancy.
Unfortunately, there is an increased risk of food related illnesses like the stomach flu with raw fish. During pregnancy, these illness can infect your baby or make you so dehydrated it can affect your baby. So avoid the raw fish for just a few months please!

In brief: No
Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Cooked = yes. Raw = no.

Cooked = yes. Raw = no.
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge