Is it normal for the wrist to be swollen one month after removing a cast (after a fracture)? How long before the swelling and pain subside?

Dr. David Tuckman
Surgery - Hand Surgery

In brief: I can be

After a wrist fracture it is normal to have pain and swelling for many months sometimes as long a 6 months to a year. Therapy can help reduce the swelling and improve your motion.
See your doctor to make sure nothing else is going on and that this is normal soreness after a fracture.

In brief: I can be

Dr. Jeffrey Sider
Sports Medicine

In brief: Gradually subside

If you have been immobilized in a cast for awhile for a fracture, you will potentially need some therapy to return to normal.
You may need to get treatment to regain your normal motion, strength, and yes to decrease some of the residual swelling. Typically 4-6 weeks would be an estimate, but heat, humidity, activity and other medical problems would be factors.

In brief: Gradually subside

Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine