My toddler is one year old & he has a tongue tie. How do I know of it will affect his speech or not?

Dr. Dale Tylor
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: You won't yet

Honestly, ones that look terrible may cause no speech issues and others that seem mild can cause severe ones.
If your boy has issues with intelligibility of his speech (compared to other kids his age), have him checked out. A speech therapist or peds ENT would be able to assess this if your pediatrician isn't sure. At this point if it isn't causing issues i wouldn't stress about it.

In brief: You won't yet

Dr. Dale Tylor
Dr. Dale Tylor
Dr. Kamel Sadek

In brief: Ankyloglossia

It will depend on the severity of the condition.
It is uncertain as to who will develop speech problems and there is no way to predict at young age who will need treatment. It is possible for children with ankyloglossia to have normal speech. Surgical intervention is an option with proven improvement of speech.

In brief: Ankyloglossia

Dr. Kamel Sadek
Dr. Kamel Sadek

In brief: Variable problem

A speech pathologist once told me not to worry about the kids who could get the tip of their tongue over the top of their bottom teeth.
The trick has to do with forming sounds. TT is quite variable and some need clipping and some will stretch out over time and not be a problem.I hope this helps.

In brief: Variable problem

Dr. Dinh Bui
Dentistry

In brief: Can be removed

Wait until he is 8 or 9 yrs old, then the tongue tie can be removed painlessly with laser.

In brief: Can be removed

Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Dinh Bui