I had back surgery back in december. A lumbar decompression due to spinal stenosis at l4-l5 level. I also have a bulging disc at the same level that they did a microdisectomy on. I continue to have severe burning pain down my right leg all the way to my

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Need further workup

May be due to continued nerve entrapment in terms of residual spinal stenosis, a recurrent disc herniation, scar tissue development about the nerve or neuropathic pain related to the nerve not fully recovering from the prior compression &/or related to its manipulation during your surgery or a combination of these.
A MRI with contrast is best diagnostic test for this & possibly an emg/ncv test.

In brief: Need further workup

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Pain Management

In brief: Neuropathic pain

Assuming your surgery was performed technically correct, the condition is called postlaminectomy syndrome.
Typically a trial of medications (eg Gabapentin and nortriptyline) is warranted. If no pain relief is achieved the spinal cord stimulation should be considered.

In brief: Neuropathic pain

Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. James Marx
Pain Management

In brief: Need Reevaluation

.. All the way to .
. Is important. Have you told your surgeon? Was there immediate relief that didn't last? Have you seen a pain specialist-concerns are continued nerve root involvement, sympathetically mediated pain and even myofascial pain if the pain is not all the way down your leg. There are meds which can help tremendously with this kind of pain like snri's and anti-epileptic drugs.

In brief: Need Reevaluation

.. All the way to .
Dr. James Marx
Dr. James Marx
Dr. Chan Hwang
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Postlaminectomy pain

This presence of ongoing pain after what should have been curative surgery is not uncommon.
The key is proper diagnosis. Sometimes there is no further measure that would "fix" the problem, e.g., scar tissue irritating the L5 nerve root, rsd, etc. There will still be ways to treat using lifestyle and medications. So find a doctor specializing in musculoskeletal disorders who can diagnose and treat.

In brief: Postlaminectomy pain

Dr. Chan Hwang
Dr. Chan Hwang
Dr. Arnon Rubin